Monday, March 9, 2009

Pig Snacks



The BF found a recipe for some type of British meat pie, and part of the recipe is a broth made from "trotters," or in Mississippi terminology, pig feet. Knowing that the suburban Krogers doesn't typically carry such pork parts, we headed to the Piggly Wiggly off Meadowbrook in search of trotters.



What a hidden treasure we found! First of all, there was a guy getting DOWN to the rock music in the parking lot. He was wearing headphones, dancing his ass off, whilst hanging on to his tricked-out bicycle. We stopped in the parking lot for a full 5 minutes just to watch him dance. Then once we were inside, we found a wall of bargain items - 3 packs of onion soup mix for $1, Jiffy cornbread mix 2/$1.00 - I snatched that stuff up. Plus, the meat selection was incredible! Not only did we find pig's feet, but we also found pig tails, ox tails, pig ears, hog mawls (which make me think of "Friday," but I don't want to eat them), and much much more. I even bought a "hen" thinking it was a regular ol' chicken. 2 hours cooking time later, I realized there was a huge difference. My enchiladas were still delicious though! Anyway, two thumbs way up for the Jackson Pig. I have been non-impressed - nay - scared shitless - of the Pig in Crystal Springs, but this one was much larger, nicer and had way better selection and better prices than the K-rogers.



That picture above is from a better spot to shop in Crystal Springs, Wilson's meat market. Best pork rinds I've ever had. Yes, I have a thing for piggies and all meats made from pig.



Just don't tell Nummies:


No comments: