Friday, September 5, 2008

White people clapping

So I couldn't stomach much of the Republican National Convention this week, but no matter, because it still got shoved down my throat anyway. I didn't watch Sarah Palin's speech the other night, but I read it. After hearing her voice later on, I have decided to put my closed captioning to good use the next time she gives a speech. That nasally voice has got. to. go.

I keep hearing people say they are scared about the election, and most of the time the people I'm hearing are saying they are scared of Obama being president. But to me, this hockey mom thing is a lot scarier. I could go into a diatribe, but I won't -- suffice to say that I'm not voting for her or McSame. I'm happy to see that a female can get recognition for a slot such as VP, but I am still waiting for the day that a progressive, reliable female candidate becomes President.

-----

This week I played hostess for a couple of nights. I had some guests on their way back to NOLA after Gustav on Wednesday, and Thursday one of my good buddies who now lives in Portland came to crash before she flew back the next morning. I don't mind having company at all, but I have to admit it's kind of nice to have the place to myself tonight. Sally is crashed out on the floor next to me, I'm drinking some good but inexpensive red wine, I had a nice steak dinner, and Comedy Central loves me. Daily Show--Colbert Report--Chapelle Showx2-- just what I needed after a ridiculously long/short week.

Sally's latest thing (that annoys me) is to dart out the door before I can catch her, and then she runs around the parking lot, eating garbage or whatever. When I get close enough to catch her, she takes off. It's fun for her, embarrassing for me. I see a weekend of obedience training in our future... or I may have to call that doggy dominatrix -- I hear she's living in the US now. She kinda scares me a little.

No comments: