Wednesday, October 28, 2009

You can do what you want -- the opportunity's on

Harold and Maude is on TV right now, and even though I'm in the next room, it makes me happy just to know it is there.

So it's not Sunday, but for some reason lately my Sundays have been too busy for blogging. Imagine that! I'm just catching up as catch can. And what the eff does that phrase mean anyway?

I mentioned in my last post about my move to Belhaven. Wahoo! It's official! I paid a large sum of money to make it so. And now the cleaning/packing begins. Reinforcing my decision to leave, I come home often to the sound of my neighbor's really loud music. Her speakers must be right on the other side of my wall, so I can hear every beat and basically every word the singer or rapper is saying. Since I figured out how to rig up my Ipod to play in the house, I have been launching a Battle of the Loud Music whenever I can. They blast "party blues"* and bad hip hop/R&B**, I hit them with the Pixies and the Beastie Boys' "The Maestro." But then Feist comes along and totally crashes the party. Eh, I've got a little more than 30 days!



*I tried to find a link to a definition for you, but it is elusive. If you've ever heard "Strokin'" by Clarence Carter, this is a prime example of "party blues." Party blues is not really blues-y in the traditional sense of the word, and it is almost always, ALWAYS, about sex. There is a local radio station that used to play this type of music at 7 in the morning. Never was there more of a hilarious way to wake up!

**I have nothing at all against hip hop and R&B, but I am picky about what I listen to in that genre. My all-time, top five favorite hip hop artists are: 1. Tribe Called Quest 2. Digital Underground 3. Biggie Smalls 4. Common 5. (obviously) The Beastie Boys. Yes most of that is old school, but I have not found a lot these days to match the music I grew up with. With the exception of Common, he rocks!

I ran two 5Ks in the last two weeks, and got a "PR" which is "personal record" in the first one! I ran about an 11:27 mile, which is ca-razy because I thought I was still shuffling along at 13:00+ per mile. I don't know how it happened, but I am not complaining! YAY progress! I did have to walk a little both weekends, but I ran more than I walked, and it is slowly but surely getting easier. My clothes are also fitting better, but I still haven't really lost any weight. I am going to just keep on keeping on, but I really hope to see some results in another month or so. I realized recently that I've only been back at it for a couple of months. My friend K. said it took her about 6 months to really start dropping the pounds, so that makes me feel better!

I've been reading my friend QB's zine, "Letters to Mr. Konigsberg," and I have to say that I am really enjoying it so far! If you are a Woody Allen fan, and even if you aren't, you should get a copy. I've only seen Annie Hall (and I love it), but I still get a lot of what QB is saying. I also realize two things about my friend:

1. He is way smarter than me. But I already knew that.
2. He uses the "F" word a lot more on paper than he does in real life. Unless he's just being polite around me! Ha!

I am lucky enough to be part of QB and my friend Anna's wedding the weekend after Turkey Day, and I am really looking forward to it. There was a time in my life, not-so-long-ago, that I was going to kill someone if I had to be in another wedding. But now that some time has passed, I am really looking forward to this, if nothing else because my dress and my shoes are FABULOUS and I spent very little money on the outfit. Plus QB and Anna are one of my fave couples of all time!

Lastly, and I have to get to bed after this, but I would totally read the book in the #1 spot at the bottom of this page.

No comments: