Sunday, October 4, 2009

Update Continued...

Before I go on to #3, I didn't mention this previously so I just want to let it be known: while I am still overweight, I would like everyone to know that my clothes ARE fitting better. That is all.


3. Chick Ball

I have helped with this event for the last three years now, and this year was probably the biggest ever. I think all told by the end we raised about $18K for the Center for Violence Prevention, which is great. They will use the funds to start a batterer's intervention program, which is a novel idea and a great idea if you ask me. This year, I played with a couple of my friends, Tara Blumenthal and Laurel Isbister, as The Paper Dolls. We played two years ago as The Mary Anns, but this year decided to change our names. I played guitar and sang, which was an accomplishment for me because I couldn't do both last time! Laurel played bass and sang, and Tara played drums and provided vocals on a couple of songs too. We just did covers this year, some Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Go-Gos, Cat Power, etc. and it was a lot of fun, but let me tell you, being a "rock star" is a lot of work! Sadly, the Paper Dolls have not been able to get together since the event, because we all have insane schedules. But I truly enjoyed playing live and would like to do it again if I get the chance.






4. A Day or Two at the Beach


So I have been needing some beach time for a while now, and so had my sister. Plus, my niece had never been to the beach before. We decided to take a trip, albeit a short one, this summer. My sister's husband is in Iraq and unfortunately had to miss the trip, but we tried to document it with both pictures and video so he could see it later. I tried to imagine what seeing the beach and the ocean for the first time must be like. My parents took me to the beach for the first time when I was about Scottlyn's age, so I don't really remember what I felt when I saw it. But seeing Scottlyn's reaction to it was enough. She was overjoyed! Of course we had built it up big time before we got there, but still, when we crested the dunes and saw the rolling waves for the first time, well, who needs Disney World is all I'm saying?





As you can see, my niece is tiny. Most two year olds are tiny, but she is really petite. Problem is, she doesn't know it. So we had to hold her the entire time we had her in the water, although she really wanted to explore it on her own.
We had a grand time, collecting seashells, studying a dead sea turtle that washed up on the shore ("I want to give it a hug," she said when I told her the sea turtle had died.), eating junk food to our hearts' content, and buying prettier seashells at the souvenir shop. It was a good time, but do not be fooled: a beach trip with a 2-year-old is unlike any beach trip I have ever been on since, well, at least my sister was 2. I packed David Sedaris book, knowing how quickly I breeze through his stuff I thought it would be perfect light beach reading. I only got through Chapter 1. Scottlyn is a wonderful, well-behaved and fun little girl, but at least at this age, she demands your attention 24-7. And that is ok, really, it was just a bit of an eye-opener for me. My last beach trip was with several college friends (post-college) and involved copious amounts of alcohol and cute outfits.

5. Everything else...


Besides all these things, we have gone through some major changes at work. To spare you the boring details, the main idea is that our chapter, which was once made up of 15 offices spread out around the country, has been split up and we are each joining up with our nearest geographical office that will eventually be included in a region. So some of our job titles are changing, and our structure has definitely changed. I love my job, something I haven't been able to say pretty much ever so far in my life, and one of the reasons was the great people I have had the privilege to work with over the last year or so.

One of the most influential people was my supervisor, Becky. When she called to offer me the job last April, I think she really was just as excited as I was. In talking to her through the interview process, she made me feel like I was definitely making the right decision joining this particular non-profit, and her enthusiasm and excitement about her work was contagious. I thought, "If she has been here for nearly 8 years and loves it, that can't be a bad thing." Becky turned out to be one of the best supervisors I have ever had. She was genuine from day one and so encouraging and respectful of me. She was someone that you did not want to disappoint, so I tried to do the best job I can for her.


This past Thursday, October 1, Becky passed away. She had been in a coma since Labor Day because of heart failure which was caused by malnourishment, which was caused somehow because she had gastric bypass surgery in August. I don't really want to go into the details here out of respect and the fact that I don't want to get upset again. But suffice to say it was a tragic loss for her family, her three little kids who I hope will always know what a wonderful woman their mother was, and of course to us who worked with her. I believe in God, and I do think everything happens for a reason, but sometimes I think things happen that even God wished didn't. I just don't think it was her time, but maybe He will prove me wrong. She was only 37, and her kids are 9, 5 and 3. It still doesn't seem real. I can't believe that I can't just call her up and talk to her anymore. It has truly been a sad month.


My office left our chapter the same day, October 1, and in some ways I am glad. It would not be the same anymore without her there, anyway. I know she would want me to just keep on doing the best job I can no matter what chapter we belong to, and in her memory I plan to do just that. We have a huge event coming up next weekend and I fully expect to be exhausted by the time it's over, but it will be worth it.

-------------


The only other thing I'd like to mention right now which is actually a bit of GOOD news for a change, is that the BF FINALLY has a job!!! After lots of resume-sending, applications and interviews, he accepted a job with a local firm and starts officially this week. I am so proud of him, and I think he will do a great job. We plan on going out (after the first paycheck of course) to a nice dinner to celebrate really soon. It is high time!! I hope this is just the first of many good things to come for him and me.


And that's it. There's more, for sure, but I think you are up to speed now. I hope, seriously, to update this at least once a week. I'm cutting back a little on the writing-for-money this month because my day job is so busy, so hopefully that will help me find time for the blog. So... see you next Sunday?

No comments: