Tuesday, May 5, 2009

This is getting good...

So today was election day in Jackson, at least for the mayoral primaries and city council positions. I wish I could have voted, but I don't live in Jackson YET, so I had to sit on my hands all day whilst reports came in that turnout was embarrassingly low at the polls. What was everyone doing? Getting blasted at Cazuela's for Cinco de Mayo? I truly don't think many people even realized today was election day, in spite of all the ads and signs and reminders from the media.

Now, our Mayor has collapsed and was rushed to the hospital. I truly hope he will be okay, but this man has cried wolf so many times that I don't know what to think. It just seems to convenient or ironic that this happened on election day - but it did happen after the polls closed, but still. Keep it here for breaking details...

It's thundering outside and threatening to rain, so that is another great reason for me to be inside under a blanket. I don't get nearly enough opportunity to snuggle on my couch, so I'm savoring this one.

Earlier this evening I was aurally assaulted in two ways. I will now tell you about it:

1. I went to a spin class and, without thinking, chose a bike directly in front of the speaker. I like the teacher because she usually brings good tunes. Today she chose a lot of death metal, and she also chose to yell really loud, so my ears are still ringing. Yay.

Also, while I was spinning, I realized something astounding. Jam band music would be the absolute worst type of music you could possibly work out to. Most of the songs that we spin to are around 3 minutes long, mayyybe 5 minutes maximum. This way you change up the type of activity for each song, so you have a well-rounded workout. I can't imagine doing jumps for all 12 minutes of Phish's "Stash." Not to mention the lack of a steady rhythm. No wonder so many stoners are out of shape!

(OK now it is pouring down rain AND hailing. Crazy!)

2. The creepy ice cream truck came inching down my street right when I got home from the gym. Ice cream trucks creep me out big time -- the way they slowly creep down the street, playing that same eerie song over and over again, lingering a little too long on the street, looking for more children... I console myself by imagining that it's Big Worm:



Then again, maybe I don't really want that kind of thing going down on my street, either!

No comments: