Wednesday, May 2, 2012

April Tunes

31. Bishop Allen - Charm School

I talked about Bishop Allen earlier - Charm School is their debut album. It is still fun to listen to after all these years. Some of the songs have been used in TV and movies, and it's easy to see why. BA's music fits the early 21st century trend of putting quirky hipster pop songs in the background of nearly every commercial. My favorites from this album are "Things Are What You Make of Them," "Busted Heart," and of course the cute title track.

32. Dark Side of the Moon - Flaming Lips/Stardeath & the White Dwarfs with Henry F-ing Rollins & Peaches

This was really exciting when it came out a few years ago. It was around Christmastime, and one of my cousins (who also has really great taste in music) hipped me to it. I love the FLips, I just had not heard about this. It is NOT Pink Floyd. I never expected it to be. But what it is is a really cool tribute. And thanks to Henry's ability to enunciate, I understand a few more words in the spoken parts of the album.

I heard a dirty rumor recently that the FLips are going to play a show in Jackson soon as part of a record-setting day of touring to see how many shows they can play in 24 hours. I sincerely hope it's true. I don't care if they play on the rooftop of the King Edward at 5 in the morning, I will be there. (Actually that would be really freaking cool.)

33. "Carnie Love Mix"

I used to belong to a pretty cool mix-tape club here in Jxn. We would meet once a month and exchange mix CDs, usually adhering to some kind of theme. I wish the club was still going, but I know the reason we ultimately fizzled is because we were all so busy. It was fun making and receiving mixes. I always discovered something new. This mix was "Carnie" themed because it was October and the Fair was in town. I always felt like we got bonus points if the mix you received had at least one of the same songs that you put on your own mix. This one starts out with "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite," and I had included the same song on mine, but it was Eddie Izzard's version from the otherwise crappy movie, "Across the Universe." The person who made this mix loves The Bird and the Bee probably a little more than I do (and I love them a lot). She put "Diamond Dave" on this disc and it makes me laugh because she equates David Lee Roth with a Carnie. Not far off, actually. Another gem is Donovan's creepy "Hurdy Gurdy Man." I love Donovan; he is such a weirdo.

34. Phish - Billy Breathes

This is my favorite Phish album. I know that a lot of die-hard Phish Phans (or whatever they call themselves - I guess that makes me not one) think that BB was the "sellout" album, that it was too commercial radio-friendly or whatever. Even in my most jam-band-loving state back in my college days, I could only stand so much noodling. So the compact nature of the songs on BB were pleasing, while at the same time highlighting the incredible musical talent of the band. I could listen to this album over and over and really not get tired of it.

No comments: