Wednesday, May 18, 2011

#34

So I didn't think there was a song, or any other pop culture reference, for my 34th birthday. But I was wrong. I should've just gone back in time a decade or so ago, to my Dave Matthews groupie days. Say what you want to about the DMB, they had me in a trance for my entire college/grad school existence. And they do put on a damn good show. And I still can't believe LeRoi (the sax player) is dead. Surreal.



Sometimes I want to go back to those days, where my only responsibility was an abnormal psychology exam and a phone bill or something. Some days I can't believe that was 10+ years ago, it seems like I should be cramming for something right now. Or shoving my books under my bed and heading to The Dock with the girls for ladies' night. Dock Rockers all the way!!

Trivia: I had never flown on an aeroplane ever before in my life, and I was 23 years old. The first time I flew anywhere was in April of 2001, 10 years ago, to meet up with a bunch of strangers I met on the interwebs, to attend a DMB "reunion" show of sorts in Charlottesville, VA. I didn't even tell my parents I was going. It was so much fun, and Neil Young opened, which was a total bonus. I don't even listen to DMB much anymore, but back then it was kinda like following the Dead around. I saw them 4 more times in the span of a year or so after that. I also caught the travel bug, and have tried to take at least one fun out-of-state trip every year since then.

God, was that really 10 years ago? It's weird to be this age, and I'm not sure how I feel about it, but it doesn't matter. It's here to stay, at least for a year (then you have to re-adjust all over again). I don't feel young and spry anymore, but I'm not an old lady yet, either. I still think that there's a lot I have yet to experience, and I am excited to find out just what those things are. At the same time, there's still that little something gnawing at me, saying, "Ok, you're really an adult now, and there's no going back."

Scary!


Anyway, I've had a wonderful day filled with friends, food and laughter. That's all a person can ask for, whether they are 21, 34 or 94. I talked to my 83 year old grandmother tonight, who can't even dial the phone to call me anymore, but she can still sing "Happy Birthday" to me. I'm gonna make "drunk chicken" for her next weekend, and we're going to stuff ourselves silly and have a good time. And that's what it's all about, really. Having a good time while you're here, with the ones you love (and enjoying some good snacks along the way).

No comments: