Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Y'all want some 'maters?*

Ouiser: Tomatoes!
Clairee: Why give all these to me?
Ouiser: Somebody’s got to take ‘em. I hate ‘em…
Annelle: Then why do you grow ‘em?
Ouiser: Because I’m an old Southern woman and we’re supposed to wear funny looking hats and ugly clothes and grow vegetables in the dirt. Don’t ask me those questions. I don’t know WHY. I don’t make the rules.

I am not an old southern woman (yet), but I'm well on my way now I guess because I'm growing some tomatoes! They are doing really well so far, in spite of the fact that they are thirsty critters and I am forgetful. Luckily this evening there was a nice summer storm that took care of them for me.

I stayed inside cooking crunchy kale in one pan and "slow kale" in another, all thanks to my weekly stash from Flying M farms. This is the first time I've made crunchy kale with the flat-leaf kind, and so far, so good. I plan on freezing the other for the not-so-salad days later in the summer.

I've really been enjoying the turntable the BF got me for my birthday. I shanked a bunch of his LP's and am currently listening to a Pretenders album, which, strangely enough, was printed in Portugal. So instead of "Side A," it says "Lado A." Pretty sure in nerddom somewhere (or just on ebay) this is worth some $$! But me, being a modern woman and "nice girl," I will not steal his albums like his girlfriends of 20 years ago did. Bitches! I know that's what happened to all his Cure albums!

Since work has been so insane lately, it sure is nice to come home to happy plants, yummy veggies, and good tunes. Not to mention a happy doggie. Just 3 more days and I'll be off some more, this time for a much-needed trip to the beach with the fam. Just hope I'm not dodging tar balls the whole time. That whole situation makes me so sick and sad. And no, not just because it could ruin my vacation. :(

*There used to be an old man in my hometown of Crystal Springs named Pope Bell, and he grew and sold his own tomatoes. He had a unique style of advertising, which was basically to go down the phone book, call everybody in the town and say, "This is Pope Bell. Y'all want some 'maters?" I imagine it actually worked very well for him in that small town.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kale? What's that?
Love the tomato growin' tho! Be sure to fry some green ones.

jacksongirl said...

Kale is delicious! It is a leafy green that you often see holding up other vegetables or even meats in the grocery store. Flying M gives us the flat variety, but what you usually see in the store is curly, and it's better for making kale chips. I'll post pictures soon!

rachel said...

I'm so excited to have found your blog! Yea for creative outlets!
I'm also very impressed by your kale gourmet-ness!